Soo, here we go again...
I did a little post two days ago and Jason (one of my two faithful readers, but one of the only ones who actually leave a comment) reminded me about my old Fender acoustic. This got me to thinking a bit -then my mind wandered completely. I hearkened back to my days as a young youth pastor, and then back to my days as a young yout' - not-so many years, but several pounds and hairstyles ago...
(Cue dreamy harp music)
What struck me, is how I am still in awe of, and profoundly influenced by my old youth ministers from that day (One died and 2 others are "out of the ministry" - one is a school principal I think). I learned a lot about leadership, leading worship, setting goals, dealing with conflict and even "dreaming big" from one guy in particular I lost touch with several years ago. (Scott - wherever you are - I miss you, man - you meant a lot to me.) The reality is, I look an aweful lot like the people who influenced me early on.
(Fade to black)
As I was thinking, I remembered an event that happened about 11 Summers ago.
(Fade in to a panning shot of cornfields on a hot sunny day)
I had the surprise of my life one day in July, 1996 while I was standing under a tent in McComb, Il (at the Cornerstone festival) and Jason (yes, my "buddy" who leaves me snyde comments on this here blog thingy) showed up out of the clear blue. We got to hang out that week at C-stone and he was one of a handful of people who actually caught our show. Since he was camping I brought him back to my motel room so he could shower and he let me fiddle around on his guitar. He then made a comment I'll never forget. He said that all the years he had been playing he didn't realize how much he sounded like me on the guitar. In a sense, he didn't realize that I had been a musical influence on him. This of course blew me away, shocked and humbled me and I hesitate to share it now except to say that it stands to reason - the more we hang out with somebody, the more alike we become. (Can anyone here say the word "DISCIPLESHIP" ??????) I think that is the whole point.
(Fast forward to present day)
Though it is something I have known all along, now more than ever, I am humbled and just a little bit scared that I can have a powerful influence on the people that I am around. I have heard it said that our strengths are passed on to those we mentor, but our weaknesses at times are MAGNIFIED..... that is a scary thought. This means that my cynical, critical attitude - my know-it-all, agrumentative, opinionated, judgementalism - could not only be passed on, but magnified (if this is true...) in those I lead and mentor - and especially in my own kids!
I hope people catch the good stuff. I wish that I could say, as Paul did: "Follow me as I follow Christ..." but I can't always say that. I am pretty messed up at times.
I have a friend and mentor named Dan. Dan was one of my college professors, a pastor/teacher-type guy who was very down to earth. He even spent a few years recently as the college President. He made a little plaque - one of those shiny brass thingy's you get at a trophy shop, engraved with a saying that has stuck with me through the years and has really influenced me in ministry and life in general. He attaches this plaque on his pulpit wherever he goes. It reads:
I did a little post two days ago and Jason (one of my two faithful readers, but one of the only ones who actually leave a comment) reminded me about my old Fender acoustic. This got me to thinking a bit -then my mind wandered completely. I hearkened back to my days as a young youth pastor, and then back to my days as a young yout' - not-so many years, but several pounds and hairstyles ago...
(Cue dreamy harp music)
What struck me, is how I am still in awe of, and profoundly influenced by my old youth ministers from that day (One died and 2 others are "out of the ministry" - one is a school principal I think). I learned a lot about leadership, leading worship, setting goals, dealing with conflict and even "dreaming big" from one guy in particular I lost touch with several years ago. (Scott - wherever you are - I miss you, man - you meant a lot to me.) The reality is, I look an aweful lot like the people who influenced me early on.
(Fade to black)
As I was thinking, I remembered an event that happened about 11 Summers ago.
(Fade in to a panning shot of cornfields on a hot sunny day)
I had the surprise of my life one day in July, 1996 while I was standing under a tent in McComb, Il (at the Cornerstone festival) and Jason (yes, my "buddy" who leaves me snyde comments on this here blog thingy) showed up out of the clear blue. We got to hang out that week at C-stone and he was one of a handful of people who actually caught our show. Since he was camping I brought him back to my motel room so he could shower and he let me fiddle around on his guitar. He then made a comment I'll never forget. He said that all the years he had been playing he didn't realize how much he sounded like me on the guitar. In a sense, he didn't realize that I had been a musical influence on him. This of course blew me away, shocked and humbled me and I hesitate to share it now except to say that it stands to reason - the more we hang out with somebody, the more alike we become. (Can anyone here say the word "DISCIPLESHIP" ??????) I think that is the whole point.
(Fast forward to present day)
Though it is something I have known all along, now more than ever, I am humbled and just a little bit scared that I can have a powerful influence on the people that I am around. I have heard it said that our strengths are passed on to those we mentor, but our weaknesses at times are MAGNIFIED..... that is a scary thought. This means that my cynical, critical attitude - my know-it-all, agrumentative, opinionated, judgementalism - could not only be passed on, but magnified (if this is true...) in those I lead and mentor - and especially in my own kids!
I hope people catch the good stuff. I wish that I could say, as Paul did: "Follow me as I follow Christ..." but I can't always say that. I am pretty messed up at times.
I have a friend and mentor named Dan. Dan was one of my college professors, a pastor/teacher-type guy who was very down to earth. He even spent a few years recently as the college President. He made a little plaque - one of those shiny brass thingy's you get at a trophy shop, engraved with a saying that has stuck with me through the years and has really influenced me in ministry and life in general. He attaches this plaque on his pulpit wherever he goes. It reads:
"What on earth are you doing to these people...?"
I think that just about sums it up.
(Fade out...roll credits...)
3 comments:
(Fade to a young, pudgy guy at his laptop, in British Columbia wiping away a tear from his eye, and a ray of sun shines through the window and bounces off...)
Funny thing is I was always wondering why I was cynical, critical, a huge know-it-all, argumentitive, opinionated and judgemental!! Thanks for filling me in!
Just kidding. Funny thing you should post this now. This morning in bed, while having my daily bout of neurosis, I was lamenting one of my youths, who is REALLY hitting the skids. He was a kid I spent more time with then others, played guitar with and since going to college has taken up every bad thing, moved in with a girl, on and on. I'm kind of crushed by it a bit. But maybe some of the positive God did through me rubbed off on him? I hope so!
In other news, I think your buddy Scott is a principal in Kathy and Bran's town and they know how to get hold of him, if you wanted to and also, one of your other youth from our era seems to be on the right track too... I found her blog,You should check it out.
www.stacyjimenez.blogspot.com
Also Steve, you should get a facebook account. Brandon's on there, a bunch of us are... Rylan, Joy, the Spencer boys... Rachel.
It's really a good way of connecting and nearly as evil as I know you think it is!
I meant, not nearly as evil...
I am sorta still adjusting to the 90's man! Facebook????? I'll check it out. Do you know the URL?
Post a Comment