Sooooooo...... we live in Illinois. We grew up in California. (Me and Beth - our older two remember California and our younger two - well, let's just say they don't realize how culturally enriched their live have become yet.)
This afternoon, we visited with some friends from church. Our friends live on some farmland about 15 miles outside of town. Just a little place in the middle of about 20 acres of timber with a "pond" (1.5 acres of surface water - I probably couldn't hit a baseball across it.)
We did something very "Midwest" today. We "Hunted" mushrooms. For my West coast friends - yes you read that correctly - we "hunted" mushrooms. Before you laugh - we had a blast! (Yes, of course there were bugs, and poison ivy and afterwards we checked ourselves for ticks.)
Apparently this mushroom hunting is quite a thing out here. In my nearly four years of living out here I've heard people talk about it but never had anyone show me how. When I heard that my friend Cameron was into it, and could just open his door, walk a few feet and start "hunting" for them, I said - let's go!
We were actually looking for Morels (someone suggested they weren't technically "mushrooms" - I don't know the difference, it's all just edible fungus to me.) However, this distinction is probably important to someone out there. They are said to be exceptional table-fare if properly prepared. (Soaked in saltwater overnight, breaded and deep fried - served hot). I have never had the opportunity to try any - and probably won't - we didn't find many, and I didn't bring any home with me. Not to worry - there's plenty more popping up all the time and now I know where to "hunt" for the skwewy things.
BTW - this is what a morel is s'posed to look like. We didn't have that kind of luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment