Saturday, June 9, 2007

Father -Son Time...

So, I went fishing today with my youngest son, Austin. Our church had a father-son fishing thingy with the Royal Rangers. Some nice folks at our church have a little (4-acre) pond/lake that they open up from time to time. We ended it with a gool ol' fashioned fish fry. (Stuffed myself I did!)

There were about 20 or so boys and a bunch of dads and other guys from the church. Me and Austin befriended another boy who was there solo. I spent much of the day untangling, re-tying and baiting, re-baiting, showing how to bait, giving casting lessons - you know what I mean. All-in-all we had a pretty cool time though.





Here is an un-doctored pic of a really nice Red-ear (blue-gill hybrid) I hooked today. No, they aren't normally that big - this one looks to be slightly more than 9 inches (my hand is 8in. +). This one was much thicker than my hand too. Normally a "big one" is about 6 - 8 Inches.

Not that catching a blue-gill is such a great feat - we usually throw 'em back - but just wanted to show people (especially in Cali.) that yes, the rumors are true about farm ponds out here! You probably won't catch anything like this at Apollo Park (wink wink). Just wait till I go catfishing next week!

1 comment:

Jason_73 said...

Apollo park. I haven't even thought about that place in 10 years...