Monday, March 5, 2007

Here's to political in-correctness & the age of innocence...

In case you haven't yet heard, there is currently a big flap over a recent comment Ann Coulter made during a speach at a big conservative P.A.C. fundraiser. If you haven't heard about it yet, turn on the news or look at MSNBC.com, as well as everywhere else.

Let it be known that I am one for free speech, and I'm also certainly no fan of Sen. Edwards. I personally could care less what she called him. However, I have a few problems with Ms. Coulter's remarks:



  • A. Since it has been widely publicized, an ever-increasing segment of the population who normally wouldn't have been in tune to this sort of thing now believe that she is speaking on behalf of ALL us "bigoted" conservatives. (*Please see footnote)

  • 2. My in-laws have now joined in on this discussion.

  • 2.1 Ann Coulter was being at least dishonest while not really being all that funny (No I don't think Ann Coulter REALLY thinks the Hon. Sen. Edwards is actually fruity.)

My wife an I popped in on her dad earlier this evening just as the news came on that Ann Coulter had actually used the "F" word in reference to the aforementioned would-be Democratic presidential nominee. He then proceeded to ask the Mrs. in-law what said "F" word meant. She proceeded to look said "F" word up in the dictionary.

We were all delighted to find out that:


  • A "Fagot" can be any peice of burning wood.

  • It can refer to any peice or bundle of wood "intended" for burning.

  • It is sometimes used in reference to a peice or bundle of iron also intended for shaping in the fire.

  • It is at times used as a slang synonym for a lit cigarette.

  • However - you have to add another "G" to it (in their older dictionary) in order to arrive at Ms. Coulters' intended definition.

Needless to say, my wife and I had a very entertaining few minutes bringing her parents up to speed with present day political in-correctness.

Ah, to be their age and innocent again!


Footnotes and other "addenda"

No, of course I don't think it's o.k. to call anybody a fxxxot or anything else you have to censor or substitute letters for (unless of course you know your audience, it's funny, and..... oh, nevermind, just ask Michael Richards how well that works out....) Also, please see me personally if you would like to have a serious, straightforward honest discussion about the gay lifestyle - i'd be a fool to publish my views in this type of forum - I might get creamed from both sides.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how sad!:( I'm also disheartened to see good old faithful go. It's like the worn in jeans that you can never throw out. Sorry to hear the news.
Love your sis,
JJ

Unknown said...

Oh, how sad!:( I'm also disheartened to see good old faithful go. It's like the worn in jeans that you can never throw out. Sorry to hear the news.
Love your sis,
JJ

Anonymous said...

church summer camp, 1985 or so.

beginning of the week. camp leader (who was also the foursquare leader at the time, although i can't remember his name) makes the following announcement at a fireside chat, on the first night of camp:

"some time this week, i want each of you to go into the forest and find yourself a fagot. at the end of the week, we're going to throw all the fagots into the fire."

i remember extensive damage control after that.