We are still recovering from our trip, sort of. Getting back to our jobs has been difficult. In a way, we are in let-down mode, but it's not what you think.
Here's a little background. We have done missions before. I have been involved in Team missions since Jr. High. The model was of course, short-term group trips mostly in Mexico, to Native American reservations, or to neighboring towns for some kind of project. During the Summer a couple of the trips sometimes lasted for several weeks. God used us in many ways, and He used those trips to impact our lives as well. We usually came back pumped and excited and ready to change the world - particularly our own church. Soon, our zeal would fade and we'd be back to normal.
This time, I believe things are different. In a way, I feel changed like never before. We didn't do anything earth-shattering - mainly we just observed. I am now able to say that I got to preach in Africa. (Big woop!) Beth spent some quality time teaching and hanging out with some beautiful women of God and some really awesome teen girls. We saw some wild and exotic sites, ate wonderful food and built deep friendships with some very awesome godly people.
What's different is that we now want to DO SOMETHING about some of the things we experienced while we were there. Our prayers, our conversations and even our dreams have been affected by the people and thier situation. God is stirring something inside of us. It is both scary and exciting.
For one thing, for us some of the glamour and mystery has been removed about overseas missions. We now have a better understanding about some of the challenges and frustrations they face. There are also some things that we are going to change about our own lives because of what we learned from them. (More on that some other time).
I'm sorry this is still so vague. We are still processing it all. But suffice it to say, I believe things have changed, for the better. Keep us in your prayers!
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment