Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Could you pass?


So, I took a watered-down online version of the Citizenship test today. (Go check it out!!!!)


I did o.k., but admittedly, my grasp of civics needs at least a small improvement. My main problem areas were specific amendments - which ones don't deal with voting rights? (7th, 15th, 24th, 19th??????) How about when the constitution was written (1776, 1787, 1812, 1876??????) - it's 1787 if you were wondering. Can you name the original 13 colonies? ...or at least recognize them on a list and distinguish them in a multiple choice test? Pretty tough stuff for the average Joe (or JoAnne).


Don't get me wrong - I think it's great that we encourage (require) would-be citizens to learn about our history, culture and freedoms - a large part of how our country became so great. However, I was aghast at how much guesswork went into my own answers - and I consider myself to be somewhat well-informed (something that I should probably re-think...)


Maybe I would have done a little better had I paid more attention in civics as a H.S. senior instead of accidentally lighting my hair on fire, and other nonsense like that...... (Sadly, true story for another day - a long, long, long way off......maybe......)

No comments: