Saturday, April 21, 2007

What is your word?

Our church has been going through a re-evaluation process this past few months. It is truly exciting - I am hopeful of the outcome. We are on the path to good health! Part of this process has been to examine our core values as a church body. One question that we have asked ourselves is: What one word would describe our church? What do people say about your church in one word.

This got me thinking: Hmmmmmm.

Let's get personal with that. If I were to ask that question about myself what would it be? If I were to ask another person what comes to mind when you think about "Steve Oberg" what would that one word be? Quite candidly - I've got a few:

Chubby, Opinionated, "Consitently Inconsistant", Apathetic, Irreverent, procrastinating, cynical, self-serving, lazy, under-achiever...blah,blah,blah...

You get the idea. No, I'm not picking on myself - this is healthy self-examination. (sort of)

Truthfully, what would your list of possible one-word descriptors look like? Does your day-to-day behavior match up with your stated beliefs? Are there areas in your life where you need pruning so that you can grow more healthy? Do you ever think about it? Yes, it can be painful to be so honest, but many people just go through life day to day without ever thinking about who they really are or what they would like to become. Soooo, take some time and think about it for just one minute. What is your word? Really.

The truth is, this side of heaven there will always be a disconnect between how we would like to see ourselves and day-to-day reality. No, we aren't always at our worst, but for me at least - I am closer to my worst than my best most of the time. I'm a sinner. I'm in process. We all are. God isn't finished with us yet. I'm thankful every day for His grace and forgiveness.

As for my personal disconnect, I know what I would like to hear people say about me:

Faithful, Honest, Hard-working, Loyal, Integrous, Talented, Humorous, Thoughtful, Bold...

How about you? What is your word? (For yourself) What would you like for me to say about you in just one word.

Think about it. Be honest. It's good for you.

1 comment:

Jason_73 said...

Christ-like

Or is that two words?